Monday, May 01, 2006

Is it okay to lie?

That was the prompt for a recent journaling assignment for my class. Of course the responses for this assignment were amazing. One was hilarious:

"No, but if it is to make sure someone feel better it is sometimes okay life if a woman was preganant and she asked how does she look and a man says honey you look great your glowing but if he would have said she looks like a cow it would have hurt her feelings."

There are some days that I love sixth graders in all their unfiltered glory.

I've been learning a lot recently. Things like, my students really respond well to being called honey. They realize that I'm here to help and I care about them. Also, that my class, who has been horrible in "line" in the hallway really cares about respect. And if I talk to them about walking in the hallway correctly in terms of earning peoples' respect, they respond. So there's that. Two good things from the last two weeks.

No comments: