Thursday, January 05, 2006

I love my mom


For so many reasons...all of you who have met my mom would probably agree that she is a wonderful woman. But today, the reason I'm writing about her is a wonderful gift she gave me yesterday: organization.

Since I moved into my apartment in August, my room has been one chaotic, disorganized nightmare. I basically would just sleep there and spend as little time as possible in there. In the beginning I'd make it my goal every weekend to spend time cleaning it. But each time I would pretty much look at the mess, rearrange it, and then do my laundry. As you might expect, it just got worse and worse. Soon the goal got pushed off for various breaks and long weekends. Finally, when my roommate was out of town, I took to sleeping on the couch so I could avoid it and it became a WINTER BREAK goal.

Winter break came and started dwindling away. Everyday I'd look at the room but got so freaked out I couldn't start. So eventually, I called in the reserves: my mom. My mom is a great person to call on for help in this situation because she has overcome several organizational hurdles as one might find while raising six children. And, in the course of that she's read a number of organizational books and could share some best practices with me.

So, after an afternoon of "put it in a file folder" and "let's clean off that desk, you need some inspiration" my room is now pretty much under control. Its not quite a done deal, but its not the monster I was dealing with before. I'm now ready for the next items on the to do list: plan, plan, plan and grade, grade, grade.

Thanks mom for helping me out!

6 comments:

Kathy B. said...

Does your mom have any tips for me? I have the same exact problem with orginization except it is only in my bedroom that I have that problem. Part of the problem is no closet. Kudos to your mom!

Kathy B. said...

Kudos to you mom! Does she have any tips she can share with the public, I have the same problem with my room. The main problem is that I don't have a closet. UUGGHH! Organization!

Anonymous said...

Hi kathy f. Verity was not kidding when she said I had to overcome organizational challenges; there were times it felt like we had to wade from the front door to the back bacause I couldn't figure out how to stay organized. There are three books I really like.

Get Your Act Together by Pam Jones and Peggy ?
Organizing From the Inside Out
Getting Things Done by David Allen

If you don't have a closet, you have to make one with a hanging rack, stacking doors and shelves. It's a pain and you can't close the door and hide it, but at least there's a place where things go.

Theresa (Verity's mom) It is so wonderful to be related to Verity. She makes everyone think I'm a great mom.

Anonymous said...

Not only does your mom look wise, but very pretty, too.

Congrats on the new website! I'm looking forward to the insights, stories and "Eureka!" moments. I'm thinking Bel Kaufman, E.R. Braithwaite and Evan Hunter, only better.

And I love the quote by Ellen Goodman.

Anonymous said...

You should not say 'best practices,' that is all.

Verity said...

As you might have guessed..."enoch" is my dad=) Thanks for the comment dad.