Sunday, April 02, 2006

Prayer rocks

Its been a while since I've posted...its been a busy month. Being engaged is wonderful, but what I didn't quite realize is that it comes with a whole bunch of planning that needs to be done. And teaching has not been a cake walk recently, so I've been somewhat out of touch because of that.

But today was a great day and I wanted to write about it. It didn't start out as a great day, in fact it was set up to be a really crummy day. I couldn't sleep at all last night because I have this big project due in a grad school class Monday and I had planning and grading and all that to do as well. Plus, I was sick most of last week and when I did make it back Friday it was somewhat chaotic. So I dreamt of children throwing things and yelling and other weird things and I didn't get much sleep in. This morning, the last thing that I wanted to do was get up and go to church. I wanted to stay in my pajamas and watch silly teen movies all day and work on my lap top.

Somewhere around 10 am (when church starts) I realized that I could stay at home and work myself into a ragged mess worrying, or I could go to church, sit with my friends and have people to pray with. I chose the latter, made it to church late, but because its also the first day of daylight savings time I sort of fit in and in some ways was early. After the service some friends prayed with me. And it was one of the most profound experiences I've had in a while. It wasn't that they said anything fancy, it was that as they prayed the power of God entered into my life in a more real way. The stress and anger and bitterness started melting away and I could breathe again. Then, this afternoon when I got home, instead of my usual Sunday pattern of trying to get stuff done but really accomplishing nothing, I got alot done! I finished my teaching portfolio, I wrote a grant application for a project for my classroom, and wrote a letter to the parents. It was a very productive afternoon, and I wasn't stressed out as much.

So the things that I've learned today is that prayer works, God is awesome, and having friends to pray with is one of the most amazing gifts you can get.

No comments: