Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Sad Day

I guess you hope that this never happens...losing a student. Butwe live in a fallen world.

Today I got to school and found out that a former student of mine had been stabbed to death earlier that morning. They're not quite sure who did it or how it happened (at 2 am)...and investigations are underway (for more info check out local news websites) He was in my class from September to October and then transferred to another school. He was probably the most challenging student I've had, pushing me to the limit in a lot of areas. But he was a kid. Only 11, and it feels awful to know that he's gone.

It makes me realize even more the harsh reality that my students live in. Needless to say, today was a rough day. Generally, days can be hard with students not paying attention/getting into it with each other. But today emotions were running especially high.

Right now I'm still a little stunned...and trying to figure out how to meet my students in all of this.

2 comments:

Dave Sandell said...

I'm sorry sweetie... such a heartbreaking day.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Verity!

Sarah